WBFS Manager randomly stops working until I reformat USB Harddrive

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1, and v3.0.1 of WBFS Manager. USB Harddrive is a Western Digital MyBook 320Gb WD3200D032

This issue is a bit strange...I can format the drive fine, and load games onto it fine. But after a random number of games have been added, I won't be able to add anymore until I reformat the drive. This has happened after adding only one game, and I've gotten up to as many as 5 games. 

I will start out by reconnecting the hard drive to the PC, let the PC recognize it, then open up WBFS Manager. I select the proper drive letter and choose to format the drive. The format succeeds, so I proceed to browse for an .iso file for the game I want to load. The .iso loads and is shown properly on the right hand side of the window. I then choose "Add to drive", and the transfer starts. When it completes, I get a message saying that the transfer was successful, and I continue. I clear the selection on the right hand side, and browse for a new .iso and repeat.

After that, it's really a crap shoot if it will work again. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I will get to the point where I select "Add to drive", and it will start transfering the .iso. It will actually finish and give me the success message that the transfer completed. But once I click the OK button on that message box, an error pops up immediately saying:

"Error occurred while loading drive. Make sure the drive is not in use or open and that it has been formatted to WBFS format."

At this point, WBFS Manager no longer recognizes the drive at all. If I disconnect the drive from the PC, and reconnect, WBFS will be able to see it and load the drive again (showing all the games currently on it), but if I try to add any more games, the same thing happens - I get the tranfser complete message, followed by the error message. The only way to be able to add more games is to format the drive again and start all over.

It seems like something is getting corrupted on the hard drive when that last game falsely reports that the transfer succeeded. At that point, you can only recover the drive with a format. I'm not sure if this is an issue with WBFS Manager or my specific hard drive. I don't have another USB hard drive available that I can format to test this out...Any suggestions?

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I think I may have solved my problem...It seems to be an issue with the automatic .rar extraction feature of the manager. If I have .iso files archived inside a .rar file, and I browse to the .rar file with the manager, it goes through an automatic process to extract the .iso from the rar into a temp folder. Then when I click the "Add to drive" button, it transfers the .iso. Doing this was giving me the random errors I noted above. 

However, if I manually extract the .iso files using winrar myself, browse to the .iso files using WBFS Manager, and click "Add to drive", everything transfers correctly. I'll keep testing, but looks like whatever component is being used for the .rar extraction is defective.