SD/USBLOADER 1.5 cannot find WBFS partition

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:56 PM

I have a 320GB HD:  Buffalo HD-PE320U2-WH

one partition 250GB (WBFS, set with WBFS Manager 3.0), around 5 backups in it

anoter 70GB are FAT32, empty

as I connect the HD and run SD/USBLOADER 1.5 Waninkoko I tells me it does not find any WBFS partition

and when it offers to format one of them, it only finds a partition which is 298GB (and three others that cannot be formatted)

any hint on what might be going on?

thanks a lot

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:04 PM

hello

first: sorry for my english.....

second: i try like you with a HD with 160GB samsung and doesnt work and then i try with a pen driver with 2GB and is work perfect, i used the WBFC ver. 3 from this web page and work very well, all my isos run perfecty. :)

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:23 AM

I used to have the same problem.  I struggled with it for a few days,but then discovered that I had made a mistake when I created the partition.  You MUST  be sure the partition is created as a "PRIMARY" partition, not logical partition.  Once I got the partition correct, I could see the same drive data from both the PC and the Wii.  When I had the incorrect partition type, the Wii could not see anything on the drive which was installed from the PC, and the Wii couldn't see anything on the drive  which was ripped from a DVD in the Wii.

I also was able to partition my drive to only use a 100GB partition for WBFS and the rest of the disk as an NTFS partition.

NOTE: If you ever get a message that the WBFS Manager cannot detect the drive, try the following:

- close and re-open WBFS Manager

- disconnect and reconnect the drive, then re-start WBFS Manager

Sometimes I did get the message that the drive was busy or couldn't be seen, when it should have been seen.  If the partition is correctly done, then WBFS Manager should be able to eventually see the drive for formatting, or for loading (if it's already been formatted).

I hope this info helps because I don't have any other suggestion.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:28 AM

hey, thanks a lot

probably the problem was with the partition type -- I thought that by primary the computer would try to boot from the HD :D

anyway, I also discovered that SD/USBloader is much more powerful than I thought --

I let it format the HD and then I saw it is capable of installing DVDs directly, without the use of a PC

later I will try to use WBFS manager to add cover art and this kind of things

regards

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:38 AM

I did the same thing that you did (using SD/USBloader), however, you won't be able to manage the drive contents from a PC with WBFS Manager.  Also, if you had an ISO image on your PC, you would need to burn a DVD in order to get it on your USB drive.  If you had the correct partition type and could use WBFS Manager, you would find out how power WBFS Manager is and you'd have the ability to do a lot more.  IMHO, it's better to correct it now, than fill your USB drive and lose all the contents later when you re-partition it.

Good Luck!

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:08 AM

hmmm... you might be right! :)

I still would be able to save games directly from the wii... I found the feature quite impressive

but yes, I guess that over time I'll want more control over my stuff, and being a 300GB drive it's better to do it soon...

thanks for the advice

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:28 AM
Edited Jun 4, 2009 at 4:53 AM

hey, I think I will need some help in doing the switch...

I tried to reformat the HD, creating partitions and so on, but the process stops when trying to delete the 300GB partition

also another nagging thing is that now even EASUS PArtition Manager only sees 300GB of Disk even though it is a 320GB HD

on top of that, with SD/USB Loader does not see any partition anymore and I cannot even format any of the 4 partitions that it sees on my HD...

any program that nukes anything that has been done to a HD?

recommendations?

thnks

UPDATE: I managed to reformat the HD, although it only recognizes 300GB -- so I have one partition with 250GB (WBFS) and one with 50GB (FAT32) --- I added 7 isos, but although in WBFS manager the covers are displayed in SD/USB Loader 1.5 they can't be seen... anything I'm doing wrong?

maybe I should add a new thread

thnks

(if somebody has any idea to reclaim those 20GB please let me know)

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Refer to "Step 4: Add your Game Cover Files to your SD Card" from 'www.mikeandheth.com/games/97-connect-wii-usb-hard-drive.html'.
Copy the cover art files from 'www.theotherzone.com/wii/' and place them on your SD under the 'usb-loader/covers' folder.

WBFS Manager displays the cover art, but it doesn't install the cover art on to the drive.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:07 AM

I just realized that WBFS Manager downloads the cover art into the "My Documents\WBFS Manager Covers" folder:  There is also a Readme.txt file there.  You could just copy this cover art file to your SD card, to the location mentioned in the posting above.

Regarding your lost 20GB, have you just tried to use the Windows Disk Manager to partition your drive?  You might be able to recover the space.  I've never used Easeus Partition Manager, so don't know if there is any issue with that.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:26 AM

Hmmm...

I think I was just temporarily fooled by the manufacturer count of 320GB, where they count 1GB as 1 000 000 000 Bytes so better forget about it --(even though I have the feeling that at first I did define the partitions as 250 and 70 GB)

I will give a try to the WiiCoverFlow -- looks quite interesting and is built on usb-loader as well

(aparently it downloads the covers as well)

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Hi.

I got a Imation 500gb hard drive. i use Easeus Partion Master Home edition to partition my drive into two. One is WBFS partition (350GB) and FAT32 partition (150GB). I put my drive into the outer port, opened USB loader GX, selected the game. I can see the game installed on my drive. But when i click on the game selected, thet game stuffs up and forced me to forced restart it.

Thanks in advance.