Error while trying to format external drive

Aug 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I'm trying to format an external drive using WBFS Manager. I have a Western Digital 500 GB drive with two partitions. One Primary formatted in NTFS 420 GB. The other is a primary not yet formatted 45.72 GB. Both are active and healthy. I want to format the 42 GB partition in WBFS to hold Wii game iso's, but each time I try to LOAD or FORMAT the smaller partition I get an error saying it is unable to do so because the drive may be in use or not formatted (LOAD). Or an error occurred while trying to format the drive (FORMAT). Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can get this drive to work on my Wii console?

Thanx,

- Dean -

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I had the same problem.  One possibility is your 42GB partition is not in a FAT format.  If it's in NTFS it wont let you.  Make sure you do this.  If that doesn't work, then i ll need more details in order to help you.  Also, make sure the WBFS partition is the primary one of the hard drive.  Other wise the Wii wont recognize it even if you have WBFS successfully formated on the 42GB with games and everything.  If your unsure how to do this, go to http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm  and you can download the free version of Easeus Partition Manager.  WARNING IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING WITH THIS PROGRAM YOU CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER.  

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Thanx zmanium, that was exactly the problem. This is an old post and I've already resolved my formatting issue. My XP Pro system wouldn't format into FAT. I had to use another program. Once it was formatted correctly, everything went smoothly. Thanx for the input.

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:48 AM
Edited Dec 2, 2011 at 3:49 AM

ya i have windows xp and am trying to format external hard drive too it only has ntfs.any thought on how i can partition it,thanks for any help/it is a ide western digital 40 gb drive

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:19 AM
weezer44 wrote:

any thought on how i can partition it,thanks for any help/it is a ide western digital 40 gb drive

Weezer, if you're just concerned with partitioning your WB 40, almost any partitioning tool will work. I personally like Partition Magic ~ http://partition-magic.soft32.com/. But when it comes to formatting each partition, follow zmaniums instructions. The two programs I use to manage my external for Wii games is Wii Backup Manager and WBFS Manager 3.0. Here is a GREAT guide for soft modding your external to run Wii games ~ http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/60921-guide-softmod-any-wii.html. There are a lot of instructions here, but follow everything to the tee and you'll be fine. I would also recommend using a larger external drive for your Wii games. It won't take long to fill up 40 gigs. Good luck.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:39 PM

thanks for info i have wbfs manager already still learning how to use it.im able to download the will games then add them to usb stick and play them.not sure about the wii backup manager yet.also would a regular external harddrive work and there is a wii 320 gb  harddrive usb that i was looking at as well .thanks again

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM
weezer44 wrote:

thanks for info i have wbfs manager already still learning how to use it.im able to download the will games then add them to usb stick and play them.not sure about the wii backup manager yet.also would a regular external harddrive work and there is a wii 320 gb  harddrive usb that i was looking at as well .thanks again.okay i really screwed up now i used another method on google and somehow my wii downgraded to ver 4.1 and when i try to put bannebomb in it says it wont load because there is no ios number or file on the wii console. is there a way to get ios number back on so i can hack the wii.

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:35 PM
Hi,

Updating this so others can avoid the pain I had trying to do this. Steps I took:

1) Ensured that Disk was marked as an active partition and unformatted in Windows Disk Manager

2) Ensured Disk was not formatted as either NTFS or anything else

4) Ensured disk was assigned a drive letter

5) Marked the partition as active in Windows Disk Manager

6) Tried removing drivers and all that gubbins.....(useless)

After checking all of these I still got an error on formatting in WBFS. What I DID notice that on my external WD there was another primary partition marked as active besides the 298 GB which I was trying to use. This was a small partition that was holding the WD data for their boot and compatibility. I could not remove this via Windows Disk Manager. What I did do was follow the instructions below taken from http://www.nabeelkhan.com/smartware-wd/ up to Download the utility HDDGuru - I started installing this and then noticed it was bloated with adware so stopped it). So my last step was create partition primary > I then went back into Windows Disk Manager and noticed that the 32MB partition had gone :o)) I marked the partition as active and assigned a drive letter. Exited this and then started WBFS manager - voila it worked. Posting below the instructions taken from above in case that external URLs are not allowed Hope it saves someone some time (it took me hours.....)

Here is how I removed the SmartWare & Virtual CD Manager partition from My Passport/Western Digital USB HDD:
Start ->SearchBox-> Type cmd
At the command prompt type the following commands
DiskPart
list disk
select disk 2 (This was mine, yours can be different  - BE CAUTIOUS THAT YOU SELECT THE RIGHT DRIVE)
clean
create partition primary
EXIT