WBFS drive sucessfully formatted and reconized by Wii, now undetectable by windows

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Information: Hi, I have a 500GB seagate FreeAgent Go drive.

History: Tried to format it on the wii, no luck. Tried to format with WBFS Manager no luck. Then reformatted drive from ntfs to efat (at the time I only had windows 7 thats why the efat) That seemed to do the trick. I was then able to format the drive with WBFS Manager. I hooked the drive up to the wii, usb loader saw the drive, and I was able to install a game and download a cover and disc image. However when I went to play the game it freezes on a black screen. Just to rule out the fact that it might be the wii, I formatted a 8GB sd card to WBFS and stuck it in a usb reader. No problem, installed a game, downloaded art, and launched and played the game fine. My initial thought was maybe because I went from efat to WBFS. I should try fat32 to WBFS. (thats how my sd card converted).

Heres the problem: In order to test my theory, I would have to format the drive back to ntfs and then to fat32 using a windows xp machine. But for some reason windows 7 ultimate, and windows xp pro doesn't see the drive, not even in disk management.

Other Thoughts: I am not a noob to this stuff, and I am also pretty experienced with computers. Any advice would be great, thanks.

P.S. I don't know if it matters but I also have a ModChip installed in my Wii.

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM

try this mate if you read my post from yesterday it sounds similiar but at least yours works lol i got more than 1 prob lol !

but try this to format your drive from windows 7

http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/

if link dont work just type fat32 formatter in search norm top result

once youve installed load it up take not of list of drives then shut it down plug ex hdd in then restart it and your see another drive listed select that where it says not allocated big in the middle with size of drive you have to click that to get start may have to initilise drive before it lets you format !

once finished load wbfs and format in there to use ! try that mate !

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Thanks for the advice, I did use the fat32 formatter. But I decided to go another route once I succeeded. What I was trying to do worked, but when I read about using a drive that was formatted only to fat32 and not WBFS, I was excited because of the possibility of not only putting backups on the drive but also putting rom backups as well. With this new channel (WiiFlow) I find the front end to be much better, and it allows my emulators to access the drive as well. Check it out on youtube or something and let me know what you think.

p.s. one other thing it lets you do is put your Wii backups on your drive VIA your PC, if you find a converter (Wii Game Manager v1.5). But I am sure the managers of this site might not like me talking to much about that program.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I have a maxtor 320gb hdd formatted it in wpbs 2.5 installed iso and played wii games fine i want to copy across to my 1tb drive for backup but the maxtor drive isn't reconised in windows what can i do?

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:31 AM

I am assuming that the Maxtor drive you refer to is the 1TB? Right click on my computer and go to Manage. Once in there go to disk management. You may see the drive in there and if you do you can right click on the drive and say delete or reformat. Thats all I got without more information.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:20 PM

HI,

I have couple questions and they may or may not relate to the above subject.

I have a external hard drive, format in WTSF format ( I paid someone do this plus lots of game). I connect the external HD to the Wii and it read the games and my kids beeing palying them.

I believed the Wii is soft modded with a SD card insert.

My questions are:

How do I copy a new game from a Wii Disc to the external hard drive so we can be able to play

I download WTSF manager , plug the external HD the PC but it could not recognized the external HD

I did confirm that the HD is pluggged in and recognized by go to my computer , right click, and I can see it, also, I can opn through my computer icon and open the drive and see all the game

Thank you for taking the time to read this email.

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I no longer use the channel you use, but when I did, I could put a disc in while I was in the channel, and it would ask me if I would like to install a game and I would say yes. It then proceeds to install your original disc to your hard drive as a backup. Which is an easier way of navigating through YOUR games then having to switch discs every time, and possibly ruining your disc from over handling like I did.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:10 PM

so what wil correct  me and 500 other people prob ..  the program wil not reconize its own format  or drive when the program starts up

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:26 AM

I would trry to download this .wad file. you install it with a wad manager, which can be launched from inside homebrew channel. This is the hermmes 222 ios installation which connects to the internet and installs the ability to see usb hard drives. Depending on your system menu version, and other ios's you may have installed you might want to research it before installing it, but it should be fine.

IOS222 Version  ----   http://www.mediafire.com/?2fs76dd5xi5f9n3   -----   For Hermes cIOS Users

You know what, nevermind, go to this link register for free and follow these instructions, you Won't regret it.....

http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/64319-fat32-hard-drives-formatting-loading-ripping-playing.html