not detecting drive

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:04 PM
Edited Nov 12, 2010 at 11:05 PM

ok i have a Seagate FreeAgent go external harddrive which i formatted with WBFS and loaded only one game on it to test it (it worked fine although it didnt have any cover art... but thats ok) the problem is whenever i plug it in to my computer Windows 7 makes the confirmation noise... but if i click on "my computer" it doesn't show it... and when i run WBFS Manager it doesn't show up... please help...

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Find the My Computer icon through the Start menu or the icon on your desktop.  Right click and select Manage.  From there, go down the tree list to find Storage and then find Disk Management.  When you click on Disk Management, you should be able to find all HDD volumes.  If you did it right, there should be a RAW File System.  If you plug/unplug the external hdd, you should be able to refresh this screen and see this new drive come up.  If it doesn't, then you have a USB/HDD drivers issue.  Try plugging the hdd in a different port and ensuring your usb drivers are correctly installed.

You can also do something similar through the device manager: RC My Computer > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager.  Plug/unplug the device and the screen should auto refresh.  You may need to dig in the tree to find your drive.

Please note that when you unplug an external hdd, some require that you safely remove or eject the device before removal.  Please do this because you do run the risk of damaging your data on the hdd if you do not do so.