Ok I need help too with an accidental format

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I have accidentally formatted my external hdd to WBFS format. The problem is that I don't have enough disk space to backup 1 TB of files. I haven't overwritten anything, so it's all still there. There should be some way to just undo a WFBS format right? It took a second to format to WBFS. So isn't there any way to change it back in 1 sec too? I found all files with Active @ Partition Recovery, even in the right folders. So please help. It can't be too hard to accomplish right?

The Netherlands

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:08 AM
Edited Aug 9, 2010 at 2:10 AM

No way to get it back as it's told the MBR of the drive to forget about what had come before. Yes, the data is still there however.

What you can do is try something like Recuva (File recovery tool) http://www.piriform.com/recuva

This will scan the drive at low level to see what's on there, however you will need an active partition formatted in fat/fat32/ntfs (Must be NTFS if you have files over 4GB)

Let us know how you go.

Edit: If Recuva won't work, try formatting the drive back to NTFS (**IMPORTANT** Ensure you tick the "Quick format" option otherwise the drive will be low level formatted, ie. Drive will have 0's written to it and data will be gone for good)