How to load games onto an HDD with WinXP?

May 12, 2010 at 4:27 AM

This is my problem: I bought a Wii plus HDD secondhand, and the HDD has loads of games on it, and I can play them using USB Loader.  Everything works. 

Now I want to put more games (iso files) on the HDD using WBFSManager, but WinXP won't give it a drive letter.  I've read that this is probably because the HDD was not formatted with FAT32 before it was formatted as WBFS (Have I understood that correctly?)  If that is the case, then how can I copy the games off the drive so I can format the drive properly and put them back?  Is there a way?  I don't want to lose all the games!

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:09 AM

You should maybe try on another computer how it is detected.

I don't think it's because your HDD was not in Fat32 before WBFS, it seems more a problem of Usb Drivers if the HDD is not detected.

If when you launch Active@ Partition Manager (a freeware) it detects your drive on the list, it seems more of a WinXP problem. I'm not sure if you can try to mark the WBFS partition as active with this freeware, but if yes it could help with the WinXP detection.

One more reason to always make 2 partitions on Wii Hdd : one WBFS and the other NTFS (or Fat32).

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Right click on "my computer" then click "manage". From there select "Disk management" on the left side. On the right side of the screen, lower half, scroll down until you see a "RAW" partition. Right click on that, and select "add/change drive letter" and you can assign it that way.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:29 PM
Hey guys, thanks for your suggestions. I should have posted that I found a solution - I downloaded ncWBFStool and it recognises the drive even though XP doesn't. It's a great utility for managing my Wii HDD.
Jun 16, 2010 at 4:24 AM

Glad to hear the problem has been resolved and thanks for posting back.