Original Wii disks to usb media

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Hi all,

I'd like to backup my original Wii games' DVD to my USB HD to keep all of them "online".

Within WBFS-Manager, I expected I could see the Wii-DVD as a standard WBFS drive (isn't it WBFS-formatted?!?!) an then I could use the "Extract-ISO" button to get the ISO-image on my PC ...

Well, as I expected Windows Vista doesn't recognize the Wii-DVD but neither does WBFS-Manager!

Why?

Can you suggest me a workaround to get the ISO image from an original Wii-DVD?

Thanks for support.

Giorgio from Italy

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:20 AM

hey, i'm new to this thing to.. but i believe you can do this using your Wii..

simply instal a USB reader program on your wii (USB Loader GX comes highly recommended.. but uLoader can also do the job)

load up the usb loader on your wii.. select the option "rip from disc" or something similar..

basically.. you will be ripping the iso image of the disc onto your WBFS formatted usb drive

however this is not technically accurate as the files that end up on your hard drive are technically .WBFS files (or some other format)

you can then use WBFS manager on your PC to extract these games files onto your PS as ISO files if needed?

hope this helps (and works)

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:40 AM

**you can then use WBFS manager on your PC to extract these games files onto your PC as ISO files if needed?**

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Hi hashbrowne,

thx for your reply.

I'm using the latest version of USB-Loader-GX and ... well, I've found the "+" button (Install new game): it ripped from disk to my USB pendrive!

Than WBFS-Manager extracted the file to my PC as a standard ISO file.

To test it I burned a DVD-R using the freeware ImgBurn.

It works fine!

BUT my Wii needed 1,5 hours to rip a 0,33 GB game, that's to say it needs about 4,5 h/GB.

This means 18/20 hours for a lot of games out there (>4 GB).

Any way to extract the ISO file with a PC without a LG disk drive?

Giorgio.

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:03 PM

sorry giorgio... i am still new to this whole thing..  so i can't help you any further..

i don't know why it took so long to instal the game from your wii to your hard drive.. it usually takes me 5 mins to instal a 2.5GB game file..

this is the only way i know how..

hope you figure it out!

good luck...

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Thx again, I'm glad to hear that someone gets what I'm looking for in a reasonable time.

Now, can anybody out there tell me what can I do to reduce the time my Wii need to rip a disk to a USB volume?

What it depends upon?

Giorgio.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I answer myself adding some info.

I bought a 320GB WD USB-HD and ... well, now USB-Loader-GX takes a few minutes to rip a game.

It seems very strange to me that the problem was a USB-pen issue but I can't imagine anything else ...

Giorgio.