Using my external HDD with music,movies for my wii games

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Can I partition my My Passport external hard drive that has my music and movies to create a separate drive to use for my wii games? I only have 3 games or so that I want to play that are too big for my 1 gig flash drive. 

I dont understand how to partition the drive and use it as a separate drive in WBFS. I understand and have used my flash drive on my wii, so I'm not completely lost. I just need a step by step guide or something. 

I'm using Vista if that helps. 

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:00 AM

I'm also very concerned about the chance of this being an option. Can anyone please post his/her experiences? I'm using Windows 7 and have a WD MyBook Essentials (500GB). Thx

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Ok here's the deal:

I got Paragon Partition Manager 2010 Free edition. It's the only one that worked in Windows 7 when trying to make a new partition. I made a 40 gig partition for games and the other data I had was left untouched. Be wary that the partition and space-moving process lasted like 10 hours for me, so you eitherhave to have a shitload of RAM memory or just leave the computer alone the whole process. I tried Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles (after loading it with WBFS Manager 3.0, connected it to the Wii in the left slot, then voila.

Only con is that when I reconnected the drive to my laptop the "You have to format your drive to proceed" message appeared. Just hit cancel and I could access my normal files with no problem. I also note that when I tried to load my new partition again (in my case the Q: drive) the game appears with no problem, even when the "format" message appears. Right now I'm waiting for another game to d/l so if any problem appears I'll let ya know.