can not format sandisk

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:24 PM

hello, ive removed the u3 software, reformat to FAT32, and tried to format flashdrive with wbfs manager but i keep getting an error, i have a 8gb sandisk flashdrive

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Is the drive locked?

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:05 PM

It's a USB flash drive.

What USB loader is on your Wii. I know with USB loader gx, you can format a blank drive with the loader.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:15 PM

i have neogamma r8, i dont think there is a lock button on it, so if i installed usb loader gx, i can format my flashdrive?...

i will try that tonight

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Use disk management to repartition your drive. assign it a drive letter, but don't format it. plug it in your wii and load usb loader gx. It will detect the formatted and ask if you want to format it.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:47 AM
Edited Dec 7, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Yes it is possible for a USB Flash Drive to have a write protect switch.

If that doesn't work, try this as complicated as it looks, follow carefully and you can do it.

Open the command line editor of windows XP (in my case, and in that case hopefully your, if I am to help you). You find that under ?Start?, the choose ?Run?. There you enter ?regedit?. This starts a little program that allows you to operate within the holiest of sites of windows, the registry. Here all kind of actions and behaviors of the system are set. Go to the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ CurrentControlSet\Control \StorageDevicePolicies This is simply a folder within a folder and so on? The final folder, the one you are looking for is called StorageDevicePolicies, and as the name suggests contains the settings for how the storage devices (USB flash) should behave. Here you right click on: ?WriteProtect? and select ?modify?. Here you set the value that appears to ?0″. Press enter and that?s it. (In other words: Default value: DWORD=0) Possible values are: 0 ? Disabled 1 ? Enabled Set the value to 0 and your back in business.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Also what hasn't been asked is. How exactely did you remove your U3 software?

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:17 AM

(viper831)  well, i was able to assign a letter to the flashdrive.....when i format this on my wii, what are my options???

(giterdone) i am going to try this with the usb loader gx first, and will see what happens if it doesnt work, i will have to see your method, i used the software from u3's website to remove it...but i only have 7.49gb on my 8gb flashdrive, thats weird considering i dont see the u3 software on there anymore

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:37 AM

It will detect the drive as not formated when you start usb loader gx and as if you want to format it as wbfs.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:38 AM

it doesnt matter what version of usb loader gx i use

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:48 AM

I would get the latest version.

The easiest way it to use the PC installed. It will download and install to your SD card if you put the card in your PC.

http://usbloader-gui.googlecode.com/files/USBLoaderGX_1.0_Installer.exe

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:18 AM
Edited Dec 7, 2009 at 3:19 AM

No drive even HDD's have said space on them ie: 1TB has actually 940ish meg. Can't exactly sell a 940meg HDD. sounds a lot more appealing at 1TB.

And by the way I stole that information.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:38 AM

well, i installed usbloader gx on my wii...then took my flashdrive...there was a message that popped up "this flash is either formatted to wbfs or fat"....either press select or partition...so i chose select...then now everytiime i go into usbloader, im in the flashdrive...and i have no way of formating it that way to a wbfs....so at this point i dont know what else to do....im gonna go to bed deal with this tomorrow

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:48 AM
viper831 wrote:

Use disk management to repartition your drive. assign it a drive letter, but don't format it. plug it in your wii and load usb loader gx. It will detect the formatted and ask if you want to format it.

As I said before do not format your flash drive.  Right click on My Computer and click Manage. Click Storage then Disk Management. Right click on your flash drive and select delete volume. Then right click and select new partition, follow the menu until it asks if you want to format this drive. Select do not format and finish. Plug the drive in you Wii start USB loader gx and format as wbfs.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:58 AM

I think I'll stay out of this until runner933 does your suggestion with usb loader first. Sounds like about the most reasonable solution to the problem. Too many cooks in the kitchen make for some pretty crappy soup if ya know what I mean.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:02 PM

**viper*** i did not format....i only assigned a letter.....so im going back again....the "delete volume" is not highlight for me to click on i can only change drive/format/open......im completely frustrated

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:26 PM

reformat it as fat32 then.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:56 PM

you know what i dont get...so when i access my settings in usbloader...its says that my flashdrive is wbfs1....but on computer...can not format to wbfs only fat32......but i was able to copy a game onto my flashdrive from usbloader, but cant play game, just black screen...that is my update

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Sorry for stepping in here again but do you have another flash drive you could try or maybe you could borrow one.

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:08 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Had the same issue with A-Data sd cards.

What mods have you done to your wii? firmware, ios updates, cios installs.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM

***giterdone*** i had another flashdrive...256mb flashdrive and i was able to format with wbfs.....just not luck with sandisk cruzer

**viper*** i recently update my system with "pimp my wii" from system menu 3.2u to 4.1u/preloader v.29/bootmii as boot2/cios249 rev14/neogamma r8/usbloader gx

i just think i can not get around to format to wbfs...the wii recognizes the flash but computer wont format

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:24 PM

May be an incompatible drive. You could try to install hermes v4 ios 202 for usb 2.0, but I don't think it will help. Will usb loader see it when formatted as fat32?

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:36 PM

my wii, recognizes the flash, is my computer that is the problem at this point

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Have you tried a different wbfs manager? It may be a program conflict.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:03 PM

just different versions of wbfs manager...i tried a different partition app...partition magic...and doesnt seem to recognize i have a flashdrive

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:03 PM
Edited Dec 7, 2009 at 11:05 PM

If it's your computer that's having the conflict through WBFS manager, I would have to say it's an incompatibility problem with the Cruzer. I personally have an Impact? 2gig, Kingston Data Traveler 2gig and I just purchased a Duracell 8gig.(only 20 bucks at Walmart where I live in Canada) All are working fine with no issues. I can't see any thing wrong with your setup except (and I know viper will disagree) usbloader gx, never had much luck with it myself that's why I use WiiFlow. Sorry to say but for the small cost of a new USB drive, that might be the way to go. Or if you can wait Xmas is only a few weeks away and an USB HDD is the way to go. I had a 500 gig external but I think my wife dropped it when she was rearranging her desk. Waiting for her to replace it now.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I wouldn't disagree, I use wiiflow, coverfloader, and usb loader gx. I was just offering another way to format his drive. I does appear that it may be a non-compatible drive.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM

seems like the both of you are right on this, i will have to wait and see around christmas time and see how much a western digital 320gb drive will cost me....

thanks alot for the help that both of you have tried to help me.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:15 AM

No problem Bud. Hope it works out for ya. Keep posting if there's anything else that pops up. I'm not a genious but I try to pay forward when I can.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:18 AM
viper831 wrote:

I wouldn't disagree, I use wiiflow, coverfloader, and usb loader gx. I was just offering another way to format his drive. I does appear that it may be a non-compatible drive.

I agree with you 100% my take is it`s time to throw in the towel and try an alternative we all know works. Take care

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:52 AM

GL. Try this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=wd+320gb+external+hard+drive&oe=utf-8&hl=en&show=dd&cid=1511146636294374210&sa=title#scoring=p

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:05 AM

Good deal. Wish I could find deals like that up North here. Unfortunately we're taxed to the hilt. Best I can find is an for about 65 bucks + shipping. Not sure what Iomega puts in their externals. Rather have a WD.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:34 PM
Giterdone wrote:

Good deal. Wish I could find deals like that up North here. Unfortunately we're taxed to the hilt. Best I can find is an for about 65 bucks + shipping. Not sure what Iomega puts in their externals. Rather have a WD. 

http://www.meritline.com/wd-my-passport-essential-320gb-usb20-black-external-hd-recertified---p-35436.aspx?source=fghdac

i dont know if they ship out of country but its free shipping good deal