WBFS Manager won't read a WBFS HDD

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:42 AM

Hi all.
I've a strange problem.

I've formatted my XP pc and re-installed WBFS Manager. When i try to read the game list in my HDD, WBFS says that the disk must be format as wbfs.
The HDD is partioned in 2: the first is WBFS 250GB, the second is a NTFS 50GB.

That's very very strange, because the HDD is OK when connected to WII (i can quietly game...): it's really WBFS formatted, and i can also read NTFS from wii with MPlauer-CE.
WBFS worked fine before i've to re-install XP. What could be happen???

Any solution?
Thanks all.

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:45 PM

I'm having the same issue today. WBFS drive is now unrecognized by WBFS manager. Works on the Wii. Never had a problem before. Running 3.01 x64 on Vista x64.

Dec 4, 2009 at 10:34 PM

@timpoldo did you do all the windows updates after your reinstall?

@wiieye I had the same issue with vista x64 on 2 different computers. For some reason it just stopped recognizing the drive. I tried it on my other pc's with win xp and win 7 and haven't had any issues at all.

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Thanks for the reply viper.. I figured it out.. for some reason windows changed the drive assignment and I just wasn't looking in the right place. I set my wbfs drive as W: and it's always been that, but today for some reason windows assigned it G:. Everything working :)

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:39 AM

Yes, i think i've done alle windows update... and more! The previous system was XP SP2. The re-installed is SP3.

I've tryed to change drive assignment, but nothing...

Do you think that a recovery software could help me?
Is there any recovery soft that recognize Wii file system???

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Have you tested any other managers to see if it is just this one?

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:19 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Just a shot in the dark here but have you tried another USB drive in that port? Possible USB driver conflict after XP reinstall? If you haven't already check USB in Device manager.

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Can you read your NTFS partition in windows?

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I've tryed this other managers:

but no results... Each one says that the disk is not wbfs formatted or is opened by another apps.

Yes, i can access to second partition, the NTFS one. No problem.

Yes, tried. On no one of 6 USB port the HDD works.

In the meantime, i've tried to follow instructions in post #4 of this discussion: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=182970&mode=linear
It seems to be everything ok...  all 51 byte (one for each game) are set to "01", but WBFS still not recognize the HD.

I think that the next step is delete all partitions and re-create new.... :-(((

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:34 AM
timpoldo wrote:

I think that the next step is delete all partitions and re-create new.... :-(((

Can't hurt. Could have a corrupt WBFS partion, doubtful but if everything else fails, repartion. Hopefully you have backups for everything you have on your USB HDD. Goodluck with it and we'll anxiously wait for the good news.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:20 AM

It could possibly be a bad windows install or bad drivers as well.