Windows Vista / 7 always asking me for format usb drive

Nov 3, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Hi

I have WBFS partition on my usb hard drive disk. It is working fine. WBFS manager is working great.

The only thing that is anoying, is, when I plug the drive to my computer, it always ask me if I want to format the disk.

Of course, I click Cancel, but i'm afraid to hit the format button by mistake.

My question: Is there a way to disable that windows popup that is keep asking me to format the drive ?

Best regards

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I too would like to know if there's a way to disable that.

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I have this problem too but something more: Because of that, I cant put my games in HDD.

When that windows screens shows up, the upload to hdd stop works.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Hi, I am also having this exact same problem. I would format my external harddrive and then i would load the game on there as normal but! the problem also is that after it says it is "done" loading the game onto the hdd my hdd doesn't even show any space used up. everything thing else is the same as you guys. (problem wise ofcourse)

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:14 PM

has anyone figured this out cause im having the same issues..  Also my winxp pc is having issues with cloning drive unable to access drive tried 3 different wd 500gb passports elites and same problems

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Hi

I have WBFS partition on my usb hard drive disk. It is working fine. WBFS manager is working great.

The only thing that is anoying, is, when I plug the drive to my computer, it always ask me if I want to format the disk.

----

Every time I connect my encrypted USB HDD, the message

"You need to format the disk in drive Z: before you can use it." appears.

---
Go to "Computer Management" > "Disk Management" and remove the drive letter.

I tried this one, and yes it works, but not with WBFS Manager, since it uses drive letters available in system (ie. after removing the letter from system it becomes invisible to Manager as well)- work on some other programs tho that can lookup by available partitions (ncWBFSTool + enchanced drive detection turned on from options); Main point being, I didn't get the format notification here anyways.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM
Edited Oct 27, 2010 at 3:22 PM

This is the exact same problem I'm having now. Has anyone managed to find a workaround for this. It would be interesting to know whether this happens on drives where the whole of the drive is formatted as WBFS or where only a partition of the drive is. For example, say 20GB is formatted as Fat32 and the rest as WBFS.

I can't find a solution for this anywhere and I don't know whether to reformat my drive just in case the problem still persists.

EDIT: I have since found out what the problem was for me. It was a faulty USB cable and since changing it for a new one, the drive now works as normal and I only receive the Windows pop-up message when I initially connect the drive. I just cancel it and it doesn't pop up again and I can transfer files using WBFS Manager as normal and with no problems. For anyone else having the same problem I would advise changing your USB cable first.