Size of games on WBFS much smaller than ISO

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Hi

Can someone explain this to me? I see drastic differences in the size of games on the WBFS compared to the size of the ISOs. Sometimes ISOs larger than 4 GB end up smaller than 0.5 GB on the WBFS! What is going on? What is the WBFS Manager trimming out exactly?

There was a discussion on how cluster size difference can account for some differential, but this seems way to large a difference to be attributed to that.

Appreciate any insights!

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:19 AM

an ISO is effectively an image of all the bits possible on a DVD

even if most of the bits are nothing, an ISO still contains information about them!

when transferred over to the WBFS drive, only the files are saved,which takes up less room than the space on the DVD

or, in other words, an ISO is always 4.7 gigabytes becase a DVD can hold 4.7 gigabytes of information

the files on the DVD take up much less space

Aug 19, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Well, it is not necessary for an ISO to include the bits that are not present. You routinely see ISOs (in other areas) where the size is less than 4.7 GB.

Unless, of course, these WII ISOs are being stuffed with garbage for the empty space. In which case, maybe someone can shed light on why that is done. After all, WII seems to be just fine with the actual file sizes on the WBFS. Maybe it matters when they actually burn the DVDs to use with the hardware modded WIIs.

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:35 AM

Wii Discs actually have a huge amount of garbage on them. Sometimes its crypted nothing or just random data.
I don' know why that is, but it is definately there.
For example, Wii Sports should be about what? 800-1200MB?
But if you make an iso of that disc, its 4,7GB big....

There are applications wich can remove that garbage, and WBFS Manager does it "on the fly" when putting them on your WBFS Partition.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:32 AM

It's true that Wii discs have garbage on them to fill the space.  And when you transfer ISOs with garbage to a WBFS drive it removes it on the fly.

The question is:  Why does it add the garbage back on the fly when copying from a WBFS drive to a FAT32/NTFS drive?

I would assume it might be to something to do with needing to have the space filled when burning to a disc.  But it would be great if it were option.  I don't intend to burn discs, so this design means that I need 4.7Gb to backup games that might be as small as 100Mb on a WBFS drive.  I know active development on this has stopped, but this would be a cool change to consider in future releases.

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM

You're right it is an issue with burning the disc. Keeping it at 4.7GB will make it easy for the DVD drive to read it, and won't put too much strain on the laser - I guess that's what they do it for. There's an application by the name of Wii Scrubber (I'm pretty sure thats it, google hehe) that will do your ISOs for you, so if you want to save space on your PC that's probably worth looking at. Also if you ever see an ISO download that has the word Scrubbed in the title, it means that the file has already been made small and you should just download that one :)