Error occurred while loading drive & Windows USB Device Not Recognized

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I am able to rip/play games from my Wii.

I am also able to connect the drive to my PC, and see what games are on the HDD.

Problem: If I attempt to send a previously ripped game to the hard drive from my PC, it completes successfully, then gives me the "Error occurred while loading drive. Make sure the drive is not in use or open and that it has been formatted to WBFS format." message.  There is nothing I can do at this point to get the drive back online. Restart WBFS Manager, restart windows, disconnect and reconnect drive. Nothing.

When I try to disconnect and reconnect, I get windows message in the notifications bar "USB Device Not Recognized" This happens on multiple USB ports, and again, nothing I can do to get this drive to show up in Windows Drive Manager.

The only thing that DOES work is taking the drive, and hooking it back up to my Wii. The Wii sees the drive, and the games I ripped (nothing that was sent to it via WBFS Manager) -- I can then re-attach to my PC, and start the whole process again with the same results. I can move the HDD back and forth without rebooting my PC all day, as long as I load it up on the Wii every time I lose the connection.

This exact same error occurs on Windows XP, with .Net 3.5 SP1, and WBFS 2.5 and WBFS 3.0

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:12 AM

try wbfs manager by howardc - a portable one - it works for me where the 2.5 & 3.0 don't

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:21 PM

I was able to solve this issue by using a usb port on the back of my computer. I saw you said multiple ports but maybe there just isn't enough juice. I've been told the ports on the back have a slightly higher voltage. So maybe the usb hdd loses just enough power to disrupt the transfer but not completely disconnect. I tried about 5 different WBFS manager tools and all I had to do was that.