Problem: Accidently Formatted WBFS drive

May 7, 2009 at 3:28 AM
Oh my god.

I had all my backups in WBFS formatted USB drive and reformatted whole drive by accident.
It just took 2 seconds to format and now everything is gone. I don't expect much but still want to ask...

Is there any way that i can go back? After I pressed Red Format button, I didn't do anything and turn off my harddrive for any hope.
Please..<!-- controls -->
Coordinator
May 7, 2009 at 4:52 AM
Nothing gets formatted until you confirm that you want to format by click OK when the warning message comes up. Did you click OK?
May 7, 2009 at 8:26 AM
Yes, I clicked OK.. It was connected to PC as drive N:
and as soon as i hooked another new USB drive to format, it took the place of drive N: and pushed the other one to O:
I thought new one was drive O: and accidently format it.

I admit it was still my mistake not to verify it before formatting but it could be really confusing when you hook up couple drives
and try to format.. Hope there's better way to notice the drives. Well, I guess there's no way to fix this problem.. Thank you for your reply though. :-)
May 7, 2009 at 10:15 PM
If you didn't write any data to your USB you can still recover it.
Get some data recovery software. I have done something like you, on 300 GB disk, (Restored wrong disk), and I was able to recover 90%, remaining 10% were restored file, disk sectors were overriden with new data.
USB should very easy and quick.

Fero
May 8, 2009 at 2:03 AM

@feroalien, 

Is there any data recovery software that detects WBFS formatted USB drive? Thanks for the comments!

May 8, 2009 at 3:08 AM

wbfsmanager, is it possible to create simple code to make it go back if I didn't write any data after formatting?

Coordinator
May 8, 2009 at 5:21 AM

It's actually quite possible to fix the WBFS partition, assuming you haven't written anything to it or re-formatted it using any other non-WBFS tools. I don't have the time to implement that though, as I'm currently very busy and this project is no longer active.

May 8, 2009 at 6:39 AM

I see. Thank you for great app though. Cheers! :-)

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:08 AM

Hi,

Had the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated. If it's not too complicated i could try to implement this feature.

 

Thanxs in advance.