No drive to load

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Hi,
As a Linux "power user", since now I used the appropriate tool (wbfs in command line) to manage a small 40G drive containing my ISOs.
HDD format and ISOs management, all is made using the linux tool without any problem.
For a while now I'm following WBFS managing tools enhancements and am sadly noticing that only Windows related are evolving.
One key function I miss under Linux is the ability to rename a game located on the hard drive, so in order to be able to do so I managed to install and use WBFS Manager.
Vista 32bits.
After having plugged in my USB HDD nothing happens. The system doesn't affect any drive letter to it. On the moment this did not alert me thinking that vista cannot manage unknown wbfs partition type present on the drive or ext3 on another one.
So I launch wbfs manager gui and try to load all the drives in its list without any success ... Of course, trying C: (system), D: (data), E:, F: (DVDs) didn't work :-/

What can I do ?!!

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2009 at 11:37 AM
Go to the Start menu->Run (or in the search box)  and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.
Once the Disk Management tool starts, assign a drive letter to your hard drive by right clicking it and choosing "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
Apr 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM
In my previous post i forgot to mention that I already tried the disk management.
In it the USB disk is displayed. The whole disk space is allocated to one partition, the wbfs one, marked as "clean (primary partition)".
Right-click on it gives me a menu with all choices except "delete volume" and "help" greyed !
So as with the ext2/3 linux partitions on my internal HDD.
No way to "Change Drive Letter"
Apr 26, 2009 at 9:12 PM
I have a similar, but a little different problem. I have an SD card with 2 partitions: one small FAT16 with loader, and other large WBFS (partition-coded as FAT16).

In "Disk Management" I see both partitions, and it allows me to choose letter for both partitions. However, for the second partition it fails with a message that partition is not active, and I need to reboot to make it active (I can't copy exact message, cause I have russian windows). Reboot, of course, does nothing.

So I think, since WBFS is not natively supported by windows, it is absurd to access WBFS by drive letter. Windows should not assign drive letters to unsupported partitions at all. You have to make WBFS Manager access the disk through something like CreateFile("\\.\PhysicalDrive0", ...), and read partition table manually, without using windows drive letter.
Apr 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM
I have similiar problem and post a request in gbatemp:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=151322
A small demo program to scan WBFS partition in \\.\PhysicalDrive# is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jxzzizynqle
Also the wbfsgui developer calimero100582 already worked on this and almost ready to release it.  Hope the WBFS Manager could also support PhysicalDrive scan.

WBFS do not have unique partition ID, and is not natively supported by WIndows.  Access through drive letter is very strange.  Auto scan can solve all of these problems.

Besides, I think using FAT32/NTFS/ext2/3 partition ID is not a good choice bucause it may cause WBFS to be accidentally formatted by newbie user of Windows/Linux.