Existing WBFS drive not seen in windows.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:13 AM

I have an existing usb 160gb hard drive with lots of games on it already.  When I look at the drive in Windows disk manager it wants to initialize the disk but I know this will be bad. This drive was originally created using a Linux box. Is there any way to make the WBFS manager see the drive?

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Hey mate, Windows isn't capable of reading WBFS partitions.

Has Windows managed to assign it a drive letter? If so, open WBFS manager and try loading that drive letter?

Let us know how you go

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:09 PM
Yeah, thx. I dumped all of the data off and added a small fat32
partition the recreated WBFS.
Aug 10, 2010 at 7:30 AM

hello,

i have a similar problem, one HDD already in WBFS with some .iso on it.

when i plug it on the PC, windows is not able to assign a drive letter to it.

so WBFS can't see it too.

How to force windows to assign a letter?

Thanks!!

Marco 

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:47 PM
If you're on XP: Right click "my computer" select "Manage" Computer Management window should pop up, Expand the "Storage" Category and look for "Disk Management" select it. In the right pane in the bottom half is all the volumes attached to your machine (eg. internal hard disk, external hard disk, sd cards, usb drives etc) Work out which drive is your WBFS drive (Should have a partition named "Raw data partition" or something of the like) Right click this partition and select "Change drive letter or paths" In the window that pops up, click the "Add" button Check the "Assign a drive letter" and select a free drive letter to the right. Click yes to any prompts you get. Once this is done, you may get a pop up from Windows saying the file system on the drive is invalid/corrupt and needs to be formatted, DO NOT CLICK OK/YES to format, BAD!! Open WBFS Manager and select the drive letter you just assigned, then click load. If your WBFS partition is valid and mounted/assigned correctly, you should now see your games.
Aug 11, 2010 at 1:19 AM
Edited Aug 11, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Hi Davery, yes, I'm on XP professional on a laptop. When I'm on the disk management, the disk status is on "foreign" with a yellow triangle on it. It doesn't show the size of the volume and the letter. By right-clicking i just got (convert to basic partition). The area of the data are marked into a yellow box. I've read on the microsoft web site, that the status of "foreign" could be caused by the fact that i'm on a laptop, but i'm not very sure of it. I will try later on a desktop with VISTA, hope to have more luck there. Any other suggestions?? Thanks for your help!

Appreciated

Marco