WBFS Manager - Error Occurred While Loading Drive

May 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Hi guys, here is my problem,

I softmodded my Wii a year or so back and loaded some of my backups onto my memory stick with WBFS manager. Recently while trying to load another backup onto it when i pressed load it came up with the error : "Error occurred while loading drive. Make sure the drive is not in use or open and that it has been formatted to WBFS format." When i try to format it, it says "An error occurred while attempting to format the drive"

Windows won't let me format whatsoever but here is the funny thing. On my laptop, Windows let me format and then i formatted my drive with WBFS and it let me load my backups. Also I tried a different USB drive on my desktop, the one that isn't working, and that won't work either.

I know that is a lot of information to take in, but any help guys? :)

May 30, 2010 at 8:21 PM
anybody? :)
Jun 4, 2010 at 10:57 PM
This is a tough one since you have already isolated the problem to be your desktop. I had a friend who had a similar issue with formatting a drive. You should open disk management. right click "my computer", click "manage", then select "disk management" on the left, select your drive in lower half of the right side of the screen, right click on it and click format. If it says the volume is in use, you can do a force dismount to be able to format the drive. Another thing just occurred to me while writing this... do you use an Anti-Virus client that supports on access scanning? Its possible the volume is locked because your AV client is trying to scan it first. Try disabling your AV Client as well on your desktop. Let us know if any of this works or doesn't work for you.
Jun 5, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Hi, thanks for the help. I've looked on the tray and closed every program I think may be something to do with an antivirus and i still get the same error.

How would I go about doing a force dismount? :)

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:23 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2010 at 11:26 PM

1) Right click "My Computer"
2) Lect flick on "Manage"
3) On the left side of the window that opens up select "Disk Management"
4) On the right side of the screen, lower half, right click on the drive you want to format
5) Click on "delete partition"
6) This might prompt you to force a dismount if any files are being accessed, click yes if so
7) Now right click the drive again and click "new partition"
8) Go through the wizard and complete the format

Here is an image to help you in in disk management

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Delete partition isn't there and delete volume is greyed out. I have a feeling this problem may be the computer and not the drive.

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:56 AM

By the way, it's an 8GB USB Stick that I'm using which comes up with the error, but I have also tested a partitioned 500GB external hard drive.

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:03 PM
Edited Jun 8, 2010 at 10:04 PM

What options do you see? Also, since its a USB stick, you might not have those options. For my USB sticks, i use the HP USB Formatter. You can download it here:

http://www.eocfiles.com/bdc86eb1ed2989c30dcd1902e84939ae/bootdisks/SP27608.exe

It lets me format my sticks to whatever system I want to use.

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:08 PM
Uh oh, yet another problem :) All the options are greyed out except Start and Close, pressing start makes it says "Checking Device" but it stays on that, i waited twenty minutes. I think the computer has a problem with my drive.Is there anyway I could reset the drive in my computer?
Jun 16, 2010 at 4:23 AM

Very interesting. And from the first post you said it works fine using another system?

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Yep it works fine on my other system I always seem to get problems that flabbergast people :(

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:21 PM
Problem solved. Stupid mistake I think. When i tried to use the external hard drive and it got the same error, i think that's because I tried to load it while it was Fat 32 instead of trying to format it. Anyway different question now :) I have all my homebrew stuff on an SD card. I've mad a Fat 32 Partition on the hard drive that also has the WBFS partition with my games on. I copied the contents of the SD cart to the Fat 32 partition. My question is how do I get the applications to recognize that I am now using the Fat 32 partition not the SD card, becuase USb Loader GX gives me DSI error occurred, which apparently means that the SD card isn't in which it obviously isn't because i'm trying to use the Fat 32 partition instead. Thanks a lot hopefully this one will be a quick fix :)